Moving into a new home is an exciting time, and you’re probably daydreaming about decor and paint schemes and new furniture. But before you get into the fun stuff, there are some basics you should
How To Get Through ANOTHER Snow Day
I don't know what the weather is like where you live, but here in Boise it has been CRAZY! What is usually a fairly dry winter for us has become what some are calling "Snowmageddon!" Haha! Schools have now been closed for over 3 weeks and I think we are all going a little stir crazy! Being snowed in is actually a great way to get all that stuff done that you've been putting off. It's also a great time to spend quality time with family. Here are 15 things that my own family has enjoyed doing while being snowed in...
1. Go through closets and organize. It's a great time to go through stuff that you might not need or that you or your kids have outgrown. Donate what you aren't using and your closet will get a facelift in the process.
2. Re-arrange the living room. I LOVE change! Something about change to me just feels clean and fresh and new! In the process of switching up your living room wipe down those walls and baseboards. This is a great job for kids to help out with too!
3. Wash bedding. As we all know with winter comes sickness. Take the time to wash all bedding...sheets, quilts, blankets, etc. I personally LOVE slipping into nice clean sheets at the end of the day.
4.Catch up on thank-you notes from the holidays. This is also a great thing for kids to do. If your kids are really young you could have them color a thank-you picture. I know grandparents LOVE to get stuff like that in the mail.:)
5. Play a card game as a family. There are so many great family games out there. Our favorite lately has been Apples to Apples.
6. Binge watch Netflix. Haha! In all seriousness sometimes it's nice to just snuggle up, pop some popcorn and watch a good show. Over the weekend we introduced our kids to the classic 1970's "Snowball Express."
7. Build an indoor fort. This was one of my favorite things to do as a kid. You can use chairs, stools, blankets, beds, etc. to make one.
8. Obviously since there is so much snow outside it would be great to get out and go sledding, build a snowman, or build a snow fort. Even though it's cold it's still good to get out and get some fresh air!
9. Clean out kitchen cupboards. Maybe even re-organize your kitchen and switch things up!
10. Menu plan. One of the things I love to do is to let my kids get on http://pinterest.com and pick a recipe to try during the week. Sometimes they pick really random things, but they are always WAY more willing to eat it if they are the ones that picked it. :)
11. Bake! Baking for me is also a stress reliever. So bake some cookies, bread, etc. and share it with your family or a neighbor,
12. Turn up some music and have a dance party! My kids like to video themselves and it's fun to go back and watch the videos. We always have a good laugh.:)
14. Serve others! Shovel someone's driveway, call and check in on a friend, have an at home coffee date, bake a treat and take to a neighbor. There are so many endless ways to serve. Service is a great way to bring your family together and make great and lasting memories.
15. Book a trip to somewhere warm for later in the year!
Brittany Manning is a REALTOR® at Boise Premier Real Estate in Meridian, ID. Brittany was raised on a potato farm in Burley, ID and graduated from Idaho State University in 2003. Since becoming an....